Learning Level: Intermediate
Description: The pre-analytic stage has long been known to be one of the major contributors to total diagnostic error. This webinar will focus on standards requirements across care settings associated with sample collection and handling. The faculty will also describe a comprehensive program for training and maintaining personnel competency in this challenging area, including strategies for off-site sample management. Don’t miss this discussion of a major component of good laboratory practice that happens outside of the walls of the laboratory!
1. Identify accreditation expectations for areas external to the laboratory that apply to collecting samples.
2. State CLIA regulations associated with sample collection and specimen handling from collection to the laboratory.
3. Discuss controllable pre-analytical variables as they relate to collection techniques
4. Recognizing the importance of continuing education and competency assessment in reducing specimen quality issues
- GP34-A Validation and Verification of Tubes for Venous and Capillary Blood Specimen Collection; Approved Guideline
- H03-A6 Procedures for the Collection of Diagnostic Blood Specimens by Venipuncture; Approved Standard—Sixth Edition
Jennifer Rhamy MBA, MA, MT(ASCP)SBB, HP
Laboratory Accreditation Program
The Joint Commission
Randy Gruhlke, CPT(NHA)
CCLS Laboratory Services