This webinar will discuss MSHA's renewed emphasis on miner's whistleblower rights and supervisor responsibilities including how individuals can be held liable under Sec. 110(c) even if they are hourly employees. The whistleblower rights (Section 105(c)) portion will address what is protected activity, what is "adverse action," and the new US Court of Appeals 2012 decision on temporary reinstatement rights. The supervisor responsibility portion will address recent case law expanding the definition of "agent of management" and typical scenarios where personal fines of up to $70,000 can be imposed.
- Understanding Section 105(c) and Section 110(c) of the Mine Act
- Learning how to avoid discrimination claims arising from miners' rights violations in complaint-based inspections, accident cases, and training scheduling.
- Comprehending what turns an employee into an "agent" and what responsibilities are placed on safety and supervisory personnel under the Mine Act.
- Webcast with 30 day access to archived recording for ANYTIME/ANYWHERE viewing
- Slides from the session
- 0.2 CEUs
*** SPECIAL OFFER ***
Current members of ASSE's Mining Practice Specialty can get this webinar for just $60! Use the discount code emailed from ASSE's Manager of Practice Specialties, Krista Sonneson, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org if you missed the email.
To join this Practice Specialty and receive the discount, visit www.asse.org/JoinGroups.
- Member Price: $95.00
- AIHA/ACHMM Price: $105.00 (PLEASE NOTE: When registering online, you must enter the following coupon code AIHA1911 for a $10.00 discount. Register online as a "Non-Member" and enter this coupon code into the field for "Registration Discount Code".)
- List Price: $115.00
Adele L. Abrams, Esq., CMSPAdele Abrams is an attorney and Certified Mine Safety Professional who represents employers and contractors in MSHA and OSHA litigation nationwide. She is assistant administrator and newsletter editor of the ASSE Mining PS and has received the society's SPY award at the Chapter, PS, and Regional level in recent years. Adele is president of the Law Office of Adele L. Abrams in Maryland, a nine-attorney firm. She is admitted to the bars of MD, DC and PA, several federal district courts and courts of appeal, and to the U.S. Supreme Court.