As our workforce ages, we see an increase in the accidents, injuries and musculoskeletal disorders reported in occupational environments. Research has documented that the primary ergonomics risk factors of repetition, force, posture, contact stress and vibration contribute to this epidemic. In this presentation, we will examine the secondary risk factors of vision, noise, temperature, shift work and cognitive ergonomics and see how they have a much greater impact on the aging workforce. Solutions to address this increasing problem for the workplace and society such as "Ergo Breaks" and training "Ergo Leaders" will be explored.
This virtual class will take place on Wednesday, March 24, from 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM central time.
- Review specific risks for the aging worker that contributes to accidents, injuries and musculoskeletal disorders.
- Examine some of the facets of the secondary ergonomics risk factors of vision, noise, temperature, shift work and cognitive ergonomics.
- Understand prevention issues including fitness programs (Ergo Breaks) for the aging worker.
- Learn basics for an "Ergo Leader" training program.
Upon completion of this session you will receive:
- A link to the recorded version of the session, for later viewing
- 0.2 CEU credits (to receive CEUs, you must also complete the course assessment)
About the Speaker
Ronald W. Porter, PT, CEAS, is a recognized expert in the field of Occupational Safety and Health, and Ergonomics. In the past 28 years, since becoming Director of the Back School of Atlanta, he has instructed over 1000 workshops and seminars on Musculoskeletal Disorder Prevention and Ergonomics Awareness to physical and occupational therapists, medical doctors, occupational health nurses, and industrial health and safety professionals. Mr. Porter has worked with over 200 industries, including Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, E.I. Du Pont, DS Waters, Shell Oil, International Paper, Cingular Wireless and the United States Navy, on the development and implementation of innovative ergonomics programs for both individual plant sites and entire corporations. He frequently speaks at various safety and health association conferences including being a featured workshop presenter on Ergonomics and Injury Prevention at the 1995 - 2005 American Occupational Health Conferences, SEAK Annual National Workers' Compensation and Occupational Medicine Conferences in 2005 - 2007 and at the 2007 - 2009 ASSE Professional Development Conferences. Mr. Porter received his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Tennessee-Knoxville and his Graduate Degree in Physical Therapy from Emory University in Atlanta, GA. He is a member of the American Physical Therapy Association and the American Society of Safety Engineers.
- Member Price $95.00
- AIHA/ACHMM $105.00 (PLEASE NOTE: When registering online, you must enter the following coupon code for a $10.00 discount: AIHA1911 You may register online as a "Non-Member" and enter this coupon code into the field for "Registration Discount Code.")
- List Price $115.00